Friday, December 9, 2016

DIY Friday!

Woohooo!!!! Happy Friday Loves!!! 

Look who has their DIY Friday post up ACTUALLY on Friday! #Winning 

Soooooo this week's projects is SUPER easy, but SUPER worth it if you're into that wall art! 

What you'll need: 

- A long, narrow piece of wood
- Paint (I used white and black)
- Sponge brushes
- Stencils
-120 grade sandpaper

In the boutiques in our town, there are TONS of rustic signs you can get to hang on your wall that have the town name, or say "Kitchen" or "Farmhouse", etc. like the ones below: 





And they sell for anywhere from $40-$80 a piece! Even more sometimes if you want it personalized with your family last name or coordinates of a location.

I wanted a rustic sign that either said Farmhouse or Tallahassee, but just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for one!  Sooooo I made one :) 

All you need is a board to the size of your liking (mine is left over plywood from one of my husband's projects). Mine is about 5 feet long.



Next, I went to Hobby Lobby to get some BIG 10in stencils for the lettering... and they were $25... so I figured I'd wait a little bit and ended up finding some at Target for $3!!! I grabbed those, sponge brushes for $2, and black acrylic paint for $2. ($7 total)

We had white paint left over from our entertainment center, so I put a white-ish coat of paint on the face of the board, let it dry, then got to stenciling! I am still getting used to documenting my projects, so I apologize for the lack of photos for each step! I put the stencils down (no, I did not tape them, the not-so-perfect letters where the paint bled a little added to the rustic look!), and sponge painted the letters with the black paint and let that dry. Then I took the 120 sand paper and sanded the whole thing, lightly. 


You can see the scratches and distressing in the paint! Which I thought was enough. Sand to your liking though :) 


You can see the stencils, sand paper and sponge brushes in this picture, so I didn't completely photo fail! 

Then we hung it up! Ta-da!!! A custom $80 rustic wood sign for $7 :) 



Now the more I look at it, the more I think I want to sand ours a little more, ha! 

Anyway, enjoy!! :) 

I'd love if ya'll posted your signs below if you make one :) 

Happy Fri-yay! <3

  




No comments:

Post a Comment